Application forms are available on the Clerk's website (www.nassauclerk.com).
APPLICANTS FOR SPECIAL MAGISTRATES
APPRAISER SPECIAL MAGISTRATE
ATTORNEY SPECIAL MAGISTRATE
Opportunites now exist for appraisers and attorneys who meet the following criteria to serve as APPRAISER SPECIAL MAGISTRATE or ATTORNEY SPECIAL MAGISTRATE for the VALUE ADJUSTMENT BOARD, NASSAU COUNTY, FLORIDA.
1. No special magistrate may be an appointed or elected official or employee of Nassau County.
2. No special magistrate may represent a taxpayer before the Board in any tax year during which he or she serves as a special magistrate.
3. Appraiser special magistrates hear all assessed value petitions (tangible, residential, commercial, industrial). An appraiser special magistrate appointed to hear issues regarding the valuation of real estate shall be a state certified real estate appraiser with not less than five years’ experience in real property valuation. A special magistrate appointed to hear issues regarding the valuation of tangible personal property shall be a designated member of a nationally recognized appraisers’ organization with not less than five years’ experience in tangible personal property valuation, pursuant to FS 194.035.
4. An attorney special magistrate hears all exemptions and classification petitions. An attorney special magistrate must be a member of The Florida Bar with no less than five years experience in the area of ad valorem taxation.
5. Appraiser and Attorney special magistrates will be paid at a negotiated rate and may be required to conduct morning and/or afternoon sessions.
6. The duties and requirements summarized above with respect to special magistrates are more fully set forth in Florida Statutes Section 194.035 and Florida Department of Revenue Administrative Code Rule 12D-9.010.
Application forms are available on the Clerk’s website (www.nassauclerk.com). Qualified individuals wishing to serve may file an application on or before 5:00 p.m. on July 7, 2014 stating their qualifications.
Robert M. Foster Justice Center
76347 Veterans Way, Suite 456
Yulee, Florida 32097
Questions may be directed to Connie Arthur, 904-548-4663 or Karen Struss 904-548-4505.